Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Using SuperMemo for Music?

"Jack Nicolson" is such a great song
Someone sent an email asking if I have ever used SuperMemo for learning music.


As much as I enjoy listening to music, I have never really pursued learning a musical instrument of any sort.


The only possibly similar thing I do is practice writing Chinese characters as part of my flashcards. The flashcard will say “write the Chinese character for xyz” and I have to write that character on a piece of paper (Shoutout to the "hipster pdf"). If I write the character correctly, the card is marked “correct.”


I imagine you could do something similar for practicing music; have a flashcard that asks you to play a particular section of music and depending on how well you can perform the piece, you can mark the flashcard as “correct” or “incorrect.” My only doubt is that I’m not sure if the rate of forgetting a piece of knowledge is the same as losing the muscle memory of performing a piece of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment