Monday, March 7, 2022

SuperMemo Ring



Guided By Voices is such a great band, this song is one of my favorites
I have many friends that live in Canada. One time while visiting some of those friends in Toronto, at 10:30pm I suddenly realized that I still had about 30 flashcards yet to review in SuperMemo. Luckily I was able to complete them before going to bed, but that close call taught me a lesson: I need a system to catch myself in case I don’t finish my flashcards when I wake up in the morning.

My initial idea was to wear my watch on the opposite hand until I completed SuperMemo. This could have worked because I always wear a watch and normally I wear it on my left hand, so if it were on my right hand, this would feel out of place.


Hello, internet!
The idea that I ended up settling on was having a “SuperMemo ring.” I went to the local shopping mall and had my index finger measured, and then purchased a tungsten ring on Amazon for $20. I decided to put the ring on my left index finger, and after SuperMemo was done, I would switch it to my right index finger. For the last 12 years I have done the same thing, always switching my ring to my right hand after SuperMemo is done.


It is rarely even on my left hand since 99% of the time SuperMemo is done before I eat breakfast, but the few times that I have not finished SuperMemo in the morning, the ring is a constant reminder that part of my day is incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment