Monday, March 14, 2022

Little SuperMemo Machines

Throughout the years I have always been the small audience that Netbooks are aimed at. SuperMemo is a program that runs only on Windows (I’ve never messed with Linux or Mac programs that let you run Windows) and SuperMemo itself is as lightweight as an internet browser or email client.

Reviews were pretty mediocre, but I was totally in love with it šŸ˜€

For as long as I can remember I have purchased a new Netbook or an underpowered, cheap laptop every four years or so, solely for the purpose of doing SuperMemo. My most recent purchase was a Surface Go 1 in 2018. Essentially it is a Surface Mini with not very impressive specs, but it's THE PERFECT little SuperMemo machine for me.


Being able to hold a Windows computer as if it were an iPad makes activities like daily reviews and incremental reading much more fun. When reviewing my daily items, I use a Wii Remote that has the various buttons bound for frequently used SuperMemo actions, so it seldom requires the use of a keyboard or mouse.


Recently I have taken to detaching the keyboard cover and walking around our apartment, a Wii Remote in one hand and the Surface Go in the other. I keep a bluetooth keyboard and mouse on the table in case I need to type anything. This morning I walked 1.5 miles while reviewing about 300 flashcards!


It seems unlikely that we will ever get a fully functional mobile SuperMemo for the iPad, so for now this is the next best thing.

2 comments:

  1. I have the idea of buying a windows tablet using supermemo, thank you for this article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it! I've since upgraded to a Surface Pro 8 (The 9 wasn't out yet), and I love it so much! I still mostly use my phone and iPad for consuming information, but it's so nice to pull out a thin little tablet to do SuperMemo with my Wii Remote!

      Delete